Success of organization or the particular project correlates directly with coherent team work. Every supervisor should have the intention to create the conditions for staff motivation and fully engage in work. Team management is sophisticated task. It demands the skill to solve the conflicts, competently distribute the roles and put the accents.
Stages and principles of team forming
Building the team, which will successfully and fruitfully work, is the long process. It includes 5 stages:
- Internal habituation:
- people get acquainted with each other;
- they exchange the information;
- they learn new rules etc. Important note: often on this stage people express the discontent concerning each other, and the conflicts are frequent. This are the effects of adaptation period.
- make the decision conserning the goal realization;
- building and analysis of the strategy.
- Interaction rules creation for the collegues;
- Common rules creation.
- the further work volume planning;
- goals setting;
- long term planning.
Note: 5th stage imply that all team members are fully used to conditions, they can uphold their positions and express thier opinion.
The general principles are in the basis of team building:
- collective and personal responsability for the results;
- duty of particular person is defined;
- professional skills are upgraded constantly;
- the opinion of majority is heard.
Important note: the team must try to work in frame of project interests, everyone should be most active in work.
How to distribute the roles correctly
The goal realization is dependent on competent distribution of roles.
Here you must consider:
- everyone's facilities;
- responsability level;
- ambitions etc.
Conditional separation by roles is the following:
- strategists – they think big, are not afraid of making decisions, aim to get the result. They always plan for the future, support the innovations, discuss and take part in planning actively. Note: strategists get tired of monotone quickly, they hardly consider others' feelings.
- Communicators – they build internal relations easily, always find the compromises. They can make other people interested, always are open for communication and discuss any situations actively.
- Controllers – they love scaling, they are perceptive and can think strategical.
- Coordinators are sure in their faculties, they can rate the goals and stand for their decision.
- Gamers – they adapt to innovations easily, support the team spirit.
- Performers – are reliable, responsible in tasks, they try to fulfill the orders successfully.
They say all roles must be present fot successful realization of the task. The most important here is to avoid the disbalance, for instance in case you have too much strategists or coordinators.
Support of the relations between collegues
The relations between collegues must be kept always on high level. Important:
- to help everyone in task solving:
- to be interested in work process, archievements and difficulties team members face;
- to offer (unobtrusively) the help on particular level;
- to guide them in correct direction;
- to give competent advices and remarks. Important: do not be afraid to ask for help in team, declare openly about difficulties you have. Otherwise the problems not to be analyzed and solved on time, can lead to dead end or ruin the plans badly.
- listen to team members' new ideas, other methods for gaining of your goals;
- always express your opinion openly, that conserns new suggestions;
- never try to demonstrate the disregard towards others' ideas and feelings;
- reward each for intention to suggest the innovation, for example, in work conditions improvement, or in goal realization speed-up.
- do not hide the collective fails;
- do not hide changes or events.
- be interested in collegues' hobbies;
- reward the reasonable humor in the team;
- learn more about personal difficulties and advantages of every member.
It is important to know partners from professional and personal sides, as it significuntly simplifies the task solution and goal realization.
Team work organization
Work will alway fail if team work is nor organized well. For effective organization you need:
- Competent leader who:
- knows clearly the inner work mechanism;
- proceeds to the goal;
- always in process of self-cultivation;
- is ready to assist the team members at any stage. It is important for leaders to be respected, that theit opinion is decisive in any discussion.
- no open agressive behaviour;
- intrigues are prevented;
- gossips and so on are not welcome.
Team work management
Team work management and analysis is difficult process, few can handle with it. For successful management you will need:
- adequate, doable and clear tasks set.
- responsable ones appointed. Advice: discuss in advance the full powers with each employee, how their work would be controlled.
- Personal example, for instance:
- high self organization;
- constant self development and intention to learn new;
- full payoff in work.
- implement strict rules of behaviour;
- creative tasks.
- praise at common meetings;
- hand in letters;
- give bonuses etc. Advice: you shuold be able to express dissatisfaction about internal rules violation, neglecting tasks etc.
Blitz - tips
- always motivate team members to go to the goal;
- reward the self realization of each employee;
- seek for the open discussion of all projects;
- prevent any struggle inside a team, public offences and disrespectful tone;
- be able to listen, ask; do not be afraid to make a mistake;
- every day set a new goal, even just the small one, and try to fulfill it.